Friday 23 January 2015

Blade Runner & Love



I do like Radio 4. Confession out of the way. Today’s History  of Ideas got me thinking about Blade Runner and Love. The philosophy of Wittgenstein is a bit intellectually over my head but the programme has lingered all day in my thoughts; is it our ability to Love each other that makes us Human. If we fell in love only to discover our intended was Not- Human would that matter? Second confession, I could easily fall in love with Rachel and it wouldn't matter whether she was a Replicatant or not.  Why do we invest so much time and energy in being in Love? Blade Runner has been the sound track to more than one of my ‘Love Affairs’; looking  back, I think it may have been a good idea if I had access to a testing device similar to the one that  BladeRunners are equipped with (the Voight-Kampf test) which enabled them to distinguish androids from non-androids. The device measures the changes in the subject’s pupils when asked increasingly difficult questions, and the questions are designed to elicit “empathy” responses to scenarios of animal and human suffering. My radar for those amongst us capable of Empathy  was not very well tuned in the past; Love was lost on those who weren't capable of feeling it for themselves let alone any one else. But as I wasn't very loving toward myself how could  I expect any one else to fill those gaping holes. ( They were fun, even if not entirely healthy, relationships which taught me loads, so I'm not unhappy about experiencing them)

Which leads me back to yesterday’s theme of loving yourself more. When we can Love and appreciate ourselves we attract healthy relationships that make us feel even better about who we are. It doesn't need to be complicated; you can make a few small adjustments right now.  If I were to ask you to rate on a scale of 1 to 10 how much love and kindness you had directed towards yourself today what would you say? Make a note of that score. Then make a commitment  listen to a  visualisation that takes just 10 minutes, make time to listen regularly for at least a week  and check back in after seven days. Ask yourself the same question…. You may be amazed at your score. After only little more than an hour you can really begin to change how you experience yourself. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04ykktv


No comments:

Post a Comment