Sunday 24 July 2016

Collaboration,Community & Creativity: ECPP 2016 (Part 2)


Disclaimer: I am not a scientist. My background is in the arts and I am still reflecting on why any ‘proper’ science department would have taken me on board to study for a master’s in Psychology.  So thank you, UEL, for taking that risk!

The ECPP 2016 was my first chance to experience the positive psychology world beyond UEL. I was expecting experiential happiness. I was looking for others to creatively collaborate with in order to feel I belonged in this community of ‘clever, proper scientists’.

As someone whose signature strengths include creativity and a love of beauty and excellence, I was looking for ways to explore these areas at  ECPP. At first glance, the programme didn’t seem to offer any such opportunity. Where was the art and creativity? The programme had two entries mentioning creativity: Sue Langley – who was using emotions intelligently to enhance creativity and innovation, and Auguste Dumouilla – whose poster was about creativity, emotion and well-being.

Due to the hectic nature of the conference, I didn’t get to Sue’s session or find Auguste’s poster. However, I did find plenty of creativity to celebrate in Angers:

  •  The conference centre was teaming with individuals expressing themselves through the way they dressed; so much research material for my flourishing fashion project and an Instagram feed on its own!


  • There was also a constant thread running through the keynotes I attended that in order for PP to evolve we need to look outside of the sciences and reach across to other disciplines; collaborations which harness divergent views to create original outcomes.


  •  Coaching Psychology and creativity: I attended a symposium on coaching and PP, perfect partners for systemic change in which all of the speakers expressed creativity in the manner they presented as well as the content.


  •  Illona Boniwell’s closing keynote called for ‘making PP tangible’ which to my ears was a shout out to arts, crafts and design to get involved.


My vision for interdisciplinary collaboration to form a positive psychology art community begins with the very spaces the science of PP already inhabits: universities. UEL is a centre for amazing arts education. I would love to see the Psychology Department  reaching out to the arts in order to create a bi-directional culture of sharing research and ideas. Art graduates would benefit from accessing the wellbeing interventions that applied PP has to offer. Stress levels of the staff could be reduced with individual PP coaching, perhaps using coaching students who had a particular interest in creative practises to offer lunchtime sessions.  

The architects could collaborate on ways to make environments of flourishing informed by PP research. Research for innovative ways to make PP concrete would be enhanced by designers who aren’t constrained by the boundaries of science.  Who better to take a complex concept and make it useable than artists? It’s what they do in every area of their work. And of course the fashion department could make collections that make us all happy!  

On my last afternoon, I explored Angers galleries with a friend; bonding over art is one of my favourite experiences. There is a very special connection that occurs when we share the feelings that surface when we encounter art. I have ‘coached’ whilst wondering in galleries, the impact of imagery on allowing creative ways to surface never ceases to amaze. That very personal end to my first PP conference shaped my overall impression of the event.

If the success, on an individual level, of a conference is making one contact and finding one piece of inspiration then ECPP 2016 exceeded that. I came away with so many ideas that it has taken me a month to filter them and make any sense of where they fit with my personal vision. (I am a percolator not a procrastinator!) I cemented existing connections and made new contacts with positive people from all over the world. I hope that in sharing my ideas about the conference on social media I will continue to form new associations that offer me opportunities to hear differing opinions and perspectives.

On the flight home – so full of positive people that the cabin was buzzing with energy – I chatted with Felicia Huppert. It’s always exciting when you can talk to one of your heroes,  I mentioned how well her dress had stood out at her keynote speech and the impact it had from the back of the auditorium. She replied: “that’s my happy dress, I wore it for a special birthday and it always makes me feel good.” I apologise for not asking if I can use the quote, Felicia, but the validation you gave my research made me feel as if there is a place for me in Positive Psychology. Perhaps fashion and PP is the perfect fusion.

I went to Angers looking for the three ‘C’s: collaboration, community and creativity; I found them.



For more inspiration on links between art and well-being: 










No comments:

Post a Comment