Thursday 21 July 2016

10 transformative takeaways from ECPP 2016 (Part 1)




        1.  Lisa Vivoll Straume (MIND)  - Toolkit Strength Based Development Workshop

I learnt:  i) How to map my own strength quadrant.         
               ii) The importance of individual strengths when building a team
               ii) The power of Table Top and Simulations to create solutions.

I felt:      Elated. Inspired. Energised.  

I will:       Take care not to overuse my core strengths and to pay attention when my ‘allergy’ strengths are activated so I pause and respond rather than react.


Want to know more?    MIND

Straume, L. V. & Vittersø, J. (2015). Well-being at work: Some differences between life satisfaction and personal growth as predictors of subjective health and sick-leave. Journal of Happiness Studies. 16, 149-168. doi:10.1007/s10902-014-9502-y

Straume, L.V., (2015). "Leadership development in positive psychology: Practical methods for balancing the use of core values and strengths» Symposium presentation at the EAWOP Conference, Oslo: May 22

Kvernmo, A. (2015). Symposium "Magic Moments. Strength-spotting in value-oriented leadership development» Symposium presentation at the EAWOP Conference, Oslo: May 22, 2015

     2James Pawleski- What is positive psychology? The importance of Theory for Research and Practice.

I learnt:  i) Work is still needed to clarify the core concepts of PP and communicate them more effectively.
                 ii) I can give you a RED cape which will let you stop “bad” things. Or I can give you a GREEN cape which will let you grow good” things. Which cape will you choose?
                ii) Fractal flourishing holds out for the well-being of individuals and groups, valuing happiness in the short-term and in the long-term. This   approach  works both locally and globally.

I felt:      uplifted that the positive in PP is still relevant.  

I will:       Always pack a reversible cape.

Want to know more? James Pawleski




     3.  Bob Vallerand  It's about time: The role of passion in adaptive self process.

I learnt:  i) Harmonious passion is good for us.
                 ii) Optimal functioning is temporal.
                iii) The highest level of well-being is achieved with a positive present state combined with a positive/resolved past and an optimistic future.

I felt:      passionate…. All-be-it with a touch of obsession.

I will:       Take a positive outlook on time and combine it with harmonious passion in order to achieve optimum psychological well-being.

Want to know more? 


    4. Barbara Frederickson Why Prioritize Positivity?

I learnt:  i) Prioritizing positivity can trigger upward spirals of lifestyle change and the development of harmonious passion.
                 ii) Individuals who seek positivity, with decisions about how to organize their day-to-day lives, may be happier than those who don’t.
                ii) Studies suggest that seeking happiness, although a balancing act, is a worthwhile pursuit. 

I felt:      Absorbed and engaged…And also a little bit awed (bit of a crush going on I think!)

I will:       Set aside time each day for feel good activities which are as vital to my wellbeing as exercise, nutrition and sleep.




     5.  Mohsen Fatemi -Positive Psychology and Psychology of Possibility 

I learnt:  i) Infinite possibilities unfold themselves in emergent modes of mindfulness.
                 ii) Langerian psychology of possibility concentrates on what can be.
                iii) Only one participant is needed to substantiate that something is possible.

I felt:      Validated for  wanting qualitative research, most especially IPA, to be more prevalent in PP.

I will:       Notice new things. Live proactively in the moment. Be sensitive towards context. Celebrate multiple perspectives.


     6.  Neil Garret how the brain forms optimistic beliefs

I learnt:  i) People incorporate good news into their existing beliefs in a normative manner but they discount bad news leading to optimistically biased beliefs.
                 ii) This asymmetry fluctuates in response to changes in the environment in a way that may be adaptive.
               iii)  Balanced variation in this is more likely to be observed in depression and middle age.

I felt:      Not clever enough to be a doing a science masters!  

I will:       Adjust my beliefs in response to external information with more consideration.


     7. Felicia Huppert  What makes people flourish? 

I learnt:  i) The real reason well-being matters is that well-being is an end in itself – an ultimate good.
                 ii) The skills of attention, emotion regulation, and self-compassion all underpin flourishing.
                ii) Mindfulness is the key to unlocking these skills.

 I felt:      Mindful. Kindful. And amazed at the fact that Felicia’s dress was such a good choice as it created an impact even from the very back of the auditorium.  

I will:      Continue to be mindful.



8. Neil Thin - Aspirational social planning: beyond social problems and living standards.

I learnt:  i) Good minds need good societies.           
                 ii) The importance of  social transformations required to support individual flourishing.
                ii) A cross –disciplinary approach is needed to find innovative ways to inform public policy in bringing about the changes necessary for great societies.  

I felt:      Elated. Inspired. Energised.  

I will:       Take small steps to collaborate with others to find ways to make our environments more conducive to well-being.



    9. Coaching psychology and positive psychology – perfect partners.  Symposium.  Stephen Palmer,  Suzy Green & Ilona Boniwell

I learnt:  i) there is no ‘I’ in team.           
                 ii) You can take the psychology out of coaching but not the psychology out of coaching psychology.
                iii) Problem Island can be transformed into the solution island with the right  coaching questions.
                 iv) Creating a positive culture fits naturally with coaching.
                v) Happiness bubbles exist.

I felt:      In the right Room, at the right time with the right people.

I will:       Not groan (GROWn) when I use the GROW model yet again.
               Create my own ‘dashboard’
               Not be embarrassed about being creative with PP; its OK to embrace my deviant thinking…being original can be an asset in this field.

Want to know more?   http://www.isfcp.net/ 






10. Ilona Boniwell –  Positive Education :making positive psychology tangible

I learnt:  i) THINKERING – Think + tinker : the creation and understanding of concepts in the mind while tinkering with the hands.  
                 ii) ‘Hands on thinking’ – purpose, framing, sharing, exploring, combining.      
     ii) “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation” Plato

 I felt:      Delighted to be part of this ‘family’ of PP. Sad that this was the end of my first experience of a PP conference. Positive that we can make a difference by applying this science stuff with creativity, originality and flair.

I will:       Take my new found confidence ( I wouldn’t have dreamt that I could be so brave as to ask the closing question!) into my life.

Want to know more?



1 comment:

  1. Great synopsis of the conference. Thank you.

    Stephen Palmer

    ReplyDelete