Saturday 4 July 2015

The ARC of motivation

So following on from the last post more on motivation….. There is a theory of Self Determination, (SDT) that provides a way of looking at what needs underpin the foundations of motivation. These needs are Autonomy, Relatedness and Competency. I refer to them as the ARC of motivation. When setting goals you have a higher chance of achieving your targets if these three areas are enhanced. Autonomy in this instance refers to the need to have choices, to be in charge of the wish to change rather than have it imposed on you from external sources. Relatedness concerns the need to have a connection with others that is enriched by the goal, to be appreciated for the effort you are making. It can also mean the need to be understood and cared for when tackling new paths. Competence needs are met when we are able to manage our emotions and environments as well as new skills.


 How does this work in the real world outside of theory? Taking my goal this week of writing two blog posts :
 A - No one was looking over my shoulder or setting me a deadline, I chose to write for the pleasure and enjoyment of doing so.
R – My Blog connects me with others, the more often I write the more I hope to provide ideas that relate to helping people with their own goals. Writing about my own experience of therapy links me to others with similar experiences.
C – As with any skill the more I practise writing the easier it gets, and hopefully I get better at it. Writing about therapy clarifies my thinking, which will improve my practical abilities.

So goal achieved and gold stars all round.

No comments:

Post a Comment